Why is a fire engine sent when I call for an ambulance?

The department adopted the concept of Paramedic Engine Companies in 1996. All personnel are dual-trained in fire suppression and EMS, and all fire apparatus carry advanced-life-support equipment. This means it is no longer necessary to operate an ambulance from every fire station. When we receive a call, the closest engine is dispatched to initiate care and the closest ambulance is dispatched to provide transportation. This method provides both fire and EMS services at the lowest possible cost.

Does the fire department charge an ambulance transport fee to tax-paying citizens of Grapevine?

No. Billing will be direct to the patient’s insurance carrier or government health-insurance program. Residents of Grapevine will receive a statement that all charges have been assigned to their insurance carrier and that their portion of the bill for service is zero dollars. Non-residents of Grapevine will receive a statement that all charges have been assigned to their insurance carrier and that any unpaid portion will be the responsibility of the patient (again except in the instance of a government health-care program).

What type of fire extinguisher is best for my home?

A multi-purpose fire extinguisher is best for the home. Look for the rating to be at least 2A:10B:C on the label. This extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home. It will often be labeled A-B-C.

Do you offer CPR classes?

The Grapevine Fire Department offers CPR classes on the first Friday of each month. Please email us for the CPR schedule or you may view the dates under the Community tab.

Can I get my blood pressure checked at the fire station?

Yes. We offer this service free at all fire stations in the city.

Can I get a break on my insurance by putting a fire sprinkler system in my home?

The State of Texas has passed a law requiring insurance companies to give rate reductions for those homeowners who have installed sprinklers in their homes. Check with your agent for the amount of discount. There are many other GREAT reasons to put sprinklers in your home. Call the Fire Prevention Division at 817.410.4400 for more information.

I have several old containers of unknown or hazardous household waste such as paint thinners, old gasoline, etc. Where can I get rid of these?

The City of Grapevine conducts Household Hazardous Waste Collection periodically during the year. Please check their website for dates and other options.